Pages

Sister Renee Fokken

My photo
Why hello! Welcome to my missionary blog! I'm glad you found it! As most of you well know, I will soon be serving in the Alpine German-Speaking Mission where I will take upon me the name of Jesus Christ and serve him for a period of 18 months, striving to bring souls closer to Christ. I report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on June 15, 2011 and will return home in December of 2012. While I am away, my lovely sister has taken the task to post on here my weekly e-mails home to the family! Feel free to read them or just glance at any pictures I'll send home! And always remember to be continually seeking for those who are looking for the truth and know not where to find it; our Father has sent me abroad to help gather his sheep in Germany/Austria/Switzerland and you can do so where ever you may live. :)

July 4, 2011

Week 3!

Wow, i can't belive it's week three! Crazy! yet another great week at the good ol' mtc! This is seriously the best time to be here at the MTC. We got to celebrate Independence Day on July 2nd and watched the fireworks from campus of the Stadium of Fire! They were awesome!!! We also had a fireside before and we sang "Yankee Doodle" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy" for prelude songs. I am so grateful for so many who are so willing to put their lives in danger so that I can enjoy the freedoms I have here. I am especially grateful for my uncle Orin. He left his family to protect their rights and freedoms so they could worship how, where and what they may. Thank you!
 
I am so grateful for the religious freedom the Lord has granted us. I know it is through his mercy that this country was founded on such a solid foundation. This freedom is without a doubt a key part of his eternal plan for his children. The restoration would not have taken place were it not for our nation's independence. I am so grateful for the courage of Joseph Smith to never deny what he saw. I know the Lord answers prayers; sometimes, He doesn't always give us the answers we want, but what you NEED.
 
We were talking about recognizing the spirit yesterday and it is so important in all aspects of missionary work. My favorite question to ask while teaching is, "Was spuren Sie?" aka "What do you feel?" I love when they don't know how to describe it necessarily and then I can turn to Galatians 5:22-23 and it teaches us that "the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." When I explain to them that what they are feeling is the spirit, or what we call "The Holy Ghost," it is amazing. Then the best part is explaining to them that through that same feeling/spirit, they can know the truth of ALL things. It is a promise given to us from God! I love the promises of the Lord because if we do what He asks, He is bound to follow through. We must trust in the Lord and study it out in our minds and if it be true, He will cause your bosom to burn within you and you shall feel it is right. (Doctrine and Covenants 9:8)
 
I know this gospel is true. I know we are all children of a Heavenly Father who knows us each individually and loves each of us the same. He has blessed us with such a beautiful plan so that we may return to Him and become like him. How sweet is that? We actually can become like God through our experiences on Earth and obtaining a body of flesh and blood as He has. He places us in family units that we may help one another to find our way back to Him. Joseph Smith DID see God the Father and Jesus Christ and the Gospel of Jesus Christ as it was in His day has been fully restored. "... do His will [and ye] shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God or whether it I speak of it myself." (John 7:17)
 
One of the greatest things about this gospel is that we dont' have to take anyone's word that it is true. We can receive DIRECT and PERSONAL revelation from God! Once we know the truth, we must have the courage, like Joseph did, and live it. Thus my new missionary motto.
 
Know it.
Live it.
Become it.
 
Until next week,
Sister Fokken ;)



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment