Pages

Sister Renee Fokken

My photo
Why hello! Welcome to my missionary blog! I'm glad you found it! As most of you well know, I will soon be serving in the Alpine German-Speaking Mission where I will take upon me the name of Jesus Christ and serve him for a period of 18 months, striving to bring souls closer to Christ. I report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on June 15, 2011 and will return home in December of 2012. While I am away, my lovely sister has taken the task to post on here my weekly e-mails home to the family! Feel free to read them or just glance at any pictures I'll send home! And always remember to be continually seeking for those who are looking for the truth and know not where to find it; our Father has sent me abroad to help gather his sheep in Germany/Austria/Switzerland and you can do so where ever you may live. :)

September 12, 2011

New Investigators!!!

Wow this week has been so great I can't even begin to explain! But I must say this has also been one of the most trying weeks thus far. How is that possible one might ask? Well for anyone who has served a mission you know exactly what I'm talking about. Everyone else, here is a classic missionary story...

So it was Saturday night around 20:00 (8pm) and everyone who has served in a german area knows that people go to bed EARLY here so to have nothing to do but tracting at 8pm is rather difficult at times. Everything Friday and Saturday had fallen out...So, we had just completed our backup plan for our backup plan and were quickley running out of ideas. We got in the car and prayed more earnestly than ever and decided to go by on a few people that we try everytime we are in that area. Of course, these two investigators weren't home but then I had the feeling to head over to the Hauptplatz (Main Square) and see what we could find. Sister Downs and I saw a couple people walking our way and she turns to me and says, "It's your turn. These people are gonna get baptized." I chuckled and said, " Heck yes they are!" So I approached them and used me best german I could muster... the woman, responded, "Could you do that in English?" It was music to my ears! We were able to explain to them about a book, called The Book of Mormon, and asked if we could come give it to them as a gift. One of them spoke French and the other reads in Arabic and they were amazed when we told them it would be no problem to get it in those languages. We set an appointment for a few days later and celebrated by getting ice cream. It was a beautiful night. We knew then without a doubt the Lord had heard our prayers and was very aware of our efforts. We went back at the appointed time and no one was home... Emilie, the woman, had given us her number so we called and she said she was at work and lost track of time but she would be right down. We didn't have time to really talk about the book but she took it and commited to read the Intro. We came back and taught them yesterday for about 20 min, because they had yet another meeting to go to. The lesson went rather well and we set another appointment for next Sunday! Younes, the man, unfortunately is leaving Leoben in two weeks but FORTUNATELY we have missionaries around the world who would LOVE to continue teaching him.

This gospel is true! And Iove it.

As for my crazy/funny story of the week I have been collecting a few and waiting for a day when I had enough time to share them :)

1) I love that wearing Leaderhosen is perfectly acceptable to wear to church! LOVE THEM!!!
2) Did you know it is illegal to kill bees in Germany right now? Something about them going extinct; I guess someone forgot to tell them that all the bees are just on vacation in Austria...
3) I have seen, more than once, train cars moving steadily down the tracks with NO engine... I am still trying to figure that one out...

That's all for now, I really need to get back to work! I hope you always remember how much the Lord loves each and everyone of His children and may we do our best to treat each other as such! May the Lord bless you this week as you seek to do good in everything you do!

Tschüss bis nächste woche!
Sister Fokken



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment