Pages

Sister Renee Fokken

My photo
Why hello! Welcome to my missionary blog! I'm glad you found it! As most of you well know, I will soon be serving in the Alpine German-Speaking Mission where I will take upon me the name of Jesus Christ and serve him for a period of 18 months, striving to bring souls closer to Christ. I report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on June 15, 2011 and will return home in December of 2012. While I am away, my lovely sister has taken the task to post on here my weekly e-mails home to the family! Feel free to read them or just glance at any pictures I'll send home! And always remember to be continually seeking for those who are looking for the truth and know not where to find it; our Father has sent me abroad to help gather his sheep in Germany/Austria/Switzerland and you can do so where ever you may live. :)

September 26, 2011

"Did I hear someone ask for a MIRACLE?!"

For those who are wondering why that subject heading sounds so familiar, if I remember right it is a direct quote from one of my personal favorite charcters, Muschu on Mulan :)

Okay moving on... wow this week has been crazy! In a good way. It all started when we went to Vienna to go on exchanges with Sister Nelson and Sister Weed. (I went with Sister Nelson.) When we got there, we went to the Hirschmans for lunch and at first, it looked kind of "iffy" (if you know what I mean...) but it tasted rather amazing! There was also an investigator there named Queen who has such an incredible history! She is from Africa and super sweet. I will show a picture of her later. It was fun getting to know her and my spirits were instantly lifted! She got baptized on Saturday! It was awesome.

So then after lunch, we had an appointment with one of Queen's friends, her name is Dany. She speaks french originally but also speaks really good German. We started the lesson and just started to get to know her a little bit and she asked us if we had the book. We told her of course! We handed it to her and she asked if she had another one? We were a little puzzled at first but she said she wanted to give one to her mom too! She's not even a member and she is already handing out Books of Mormon! We were thrilled! We didn't have another one in French with us, but we got her mothers name and phone number and the Elders in Graz are going to give her one and tell her what it is all about!

Then, after that, we were talking to people that had come to the young adult center, where we were, who had just came out of English class. We talked to a few people for a few minutes and one of the ladies said she wanted to ask us some more questions. So we sat down with her, Lilly, and just talked about who we are, what we believe, and how if we can meet with her 3 times a week for 4 weeks, and keeps her commitments to read the Book of Mormon, Come to Church, and pray to know the truth, she will come to know for herself if it is true. She committed to doing so and we were thrilled!

The next day we had a special training because we are starting the new "12 Week Training Program" which is amazing! Each companionship got a portable DVD player to watch examples of how to present specific materials and how to be better teachers. For those who don't know, there are 8 fundamentals that we are to focus on to help us become better teachers. They are truly inspired! I have such a testimony of this training program already! The only down side of that is that I have to start my training over again. So I will be a "golden" for another 12 weeks. All is well, I am just happy to finally be a part of the new program!

Yesterday I had the opportunity to give my first talk in sacrament meeting. That alone was a miracle in itself! Sister Downs really helped me get my grammer together but I got a lot of compliments on it so I think I did well! The topic was the affects of using the priesthood righteously. It was a little rough to get started but thankfully I have been blessed with many worthy priesthood holders in my life in which I truly feel extremely blessed by their priesthood calling.

Okay so here is the best story of the week!! Yesterday, we had made an appointment with a woman named Eva, she is so wonderful! But when we got there, she was getting ready to go to the hospital where her grandson we being rushed to because he had hit his face on something and had to go to the emergency room. So we left her a card with our number and we will hopefully get a lesson in with her this week! She really wants to! So that was pretty funny... as we were walking back to our car, a woman called out to us and told us she had a question for us. We walked over to where she and three other women were sitting, two of them stood up and came and asked us who we were and what we were doing? Sister Downs and I were delighted to explain our purpose to them and they agreed to an appointment for this coming week. We took their information and gave them ours and went along to klingle another potential investigator. The potential wasn't there and Sister Downs said we needed to give those other two ladies a card as well. So we made our way back to the bench. One woman said that if the other women liked what they heard in their appointment then she would set an appointment with us later. The other woman really just sat their and didn't know what to think. We wished them a good evening and headed to the car. We were about half way there when we hear someone say, "Excuse me!" We again made our way back to the bench and the quiet woman wished to make an appointment with us. We were happy to ablige and walked away in shock as to what just happened. We had 3 women come to us... All eager to hear the "Good News" or what we like to call, "The Gospel".

I know the Lord blesses His missionaries around the world! He is very aware of all that we do. Thank you for all your prayers! Keep them coming! They are working! I hope you have a wonderful week!

Liebe,
Sister Fokken



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment