Pages

Sister Renee Fokken

My photo
Why hello! Welcome to my missionary blog! I'm glad you found it! As most of you well know, I will soon be serving in the Alpine German-Speaking Mission where I will take upon me the name of Jesus Christ and serve him for a period of 18 months, striving to bring souls closer to Christ. I report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on June 15, 2011 and will return home in December of 2012. While I am away, my lovely sister has taken the task to post on here my weekly e-mails home to the family! Feel free to read them or just glance at any pictures I'll send home! And always remember to be continually seeking for those who are looking for the truth and know not where to find it; our Father has sent me abroad to help gather his sheep in Germany/Austria/Switzerland and you can do so where ever you may live. :)

October 30, 2012

August 20

This week we have had so many miracles happen. Never have I, throughout my whole mission, been let into someone's home on the spot. And this transfer it has happened 3 times. (Two times in the last week alone.) Last Monday we were getting on a bus and I said hello to a man but proceeded forward and sat by Sis Hatch. Then I got that feeling. That same feeling you get when you are sitting in fast and testimony meeting and you KNOW you are supposed to share your testimony but you are terrified for some reason or another. So I got up and asked the man if I could sit with him. He said, "Of course!" We got to talking and he is from Nigeria, has been here for 14 years, has two jobs, a beautiful wife and 6 children. He invited us to come over right then and meet his family. We did so and it was crazy. Little kids were running around, the tv was on, and then suddenly a friend came over and started to talk to us. She had heard before that we weren't Christian. She had heard of the Book of Mormon but had never read it. We invited her to read a little of the introduction. Her countenance changed almost instantly. She realized we weren't there to tell her that everything she learned was wrong. But that we were there to help people come unto Christ. It was pretty interesting. We had to leave not too long after we got there because we had another appointment. Before we left, the man I met on the bus, Felix, asked if we would pray before we leave. The spirit filled the room and it was a neat experience. After we got up, he asked us to come back soon! We told him we would! He was thrilled. We saw him a few days later and made an appointment but unfortunately it fell through. But we will keep trying. We also found a woman on Saturday afternoon. Elder and Sister Betts took us out to lunch and we decided that it would be a good idea to contact in this area for a few hours before our next appointment. We didn't have a map with us but we found a city map and knew that we needed to go a certain area on the map. We walked there but Sister Hatch had to use the restroom. As weird as it sounds, I have learned on my mission that bathroom breaks are rather inspired! I have found great success when my companion or I had to use the restroom and we either found someone on the way to or from the bathroom. Crazy as that is. Well, after the restroom, we went back to this one area. We felt embarrassed a little because we walked by the same people three times in the last 15 mins... I am sure they thought we were just some silly American girls that were lost. Anyways, we got to this one street and Sister Hatch said that that wasn't the right way. I followed her counsel and headed down the other street. We knocked a few doors but we saw another street and we both knew that is where we were supposed to go. We decided to walk to the end of Rosenweg, and work our way back toward the town center. We went to the very last building rang the top klingle and they buzzed us in. We went to the very top, saw a woman, said, "Hello! How are you today?" she answered, "Yeah, I'm okay, please come in!" We thought, okay, well that's interesting. That NEVER happens. (Well never say never!) We taught a powerful first lesson with her and she felt so honored to receive a copy of the Book of Mormon. She promised to read the introduction before the next time we come. She said we could come by again next Saturday to talk more about what we believe. Her name is Frau Flink. And she is amazing. I could tell you more miracles that happened but it would take a really long time to do so... Schaffhausen is beginning to bloom! Soon we really won't have any room for people in the chapel! We are already packed in there like sardines with only 3 investigators there. The work is going forth! I am having the time of my life, even though it is still hard sometimes, I have never felt as much joy doing something that is so hard in my entire life! I have really learned what it means to trust in the Lord on my mission. Especially in the last few weeks. I feel his hand guiding me in every aspect of my life. I have no idea what will happen after my mission. But I am not afraid. I know the Lord will provide. I have learned to live each day as a new one. I am living my life "in the middle." This transfer is coming to an end. We get transfer calls on Friday. I really want to stay here... And I am pretty sure I will die here. I wouldn't want to go to a new area for my last transfer. Next transfer is going to fly by because Elder Nelson is coming and then we have Sister's Conference for three days. It will be so great! I wish you all the best! Have a great week! Till next week! Love, Sister Fokken

No comments:

Post a Comment